Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Friend Gone, But Not Forgotten

Up the stairs I begin to climb
Stopping to scope the view from time to time
How I love this playhouse of mine
'Finally I'm at the top', I cheer
Don't look down, it's heights that I fear

I stand in amazement, wonder and awe
Of my backyard and the beauty I saw
Oh what fun I would have
In my gynormous backyard
Just me in my playhouse
As a pilot in the Guard

All day long I would play and play
Then tears would come at the end of the day
'Cause it would get late, and I'd be called in
That's when the crying would begin

In bed I'd lay dreaming of my wonderful day
I'd dream mostly of my backyard
And what fun I'd have tomorrow as I play

Years have passed and I no longer see
The backyard that, for many years
Had sheltered me
From the world I now know
And the world that I fear


But my memories of that backyard
Greet me like a friend I used to know
A friend I long to see
A friend I knew long ago

3 comments:

WyA said...

This is cool Robyn! Totally makes me think of that playhouse we had and all the feelings of childhood. That was a gynormus backyard.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a backyard where I could look out my kitchen window and see my kids playing in a fenced in yard. You loved it for a different reason but it still was a dream and I miss it too! It is so nice that it was special to you.

Jenni S said...

Oh, I loved that place too, such great memories.