Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Was Just A Child Then

I was just a child then
When lives were torn in two
He went left She went right
They didn't know what else to do

I thought our family was perfect
Nothing in the world could tear us apart
Now I know that I was naive
Clueless from the start

I remember the day Dad left
One big tear is all I could see
That day, his face
Will forever haunt my memory

'Nothing will ever be the same', I thought
I soon found that I was right
Everything was different
Except the crying would happen every night

I used to want them together again
So my life would feel complete
But now I know that wouldn't do
There are people we needed to meet

Now I can say
That my life didn't end
Our family grew in time
And our lives did mend

Everything IS different
From the days I once knew
We went from a family of eight
To a family of Twenty-Two (ok 15)

5 comments:

Tiff and Rand said...

Twenty-two, fifteen, same diff. This poem gave me chills and brought so much to the surface. I love how you turned something that we thought was negative and showed how positive it truly turned out. Thank you for explaining my thoughts so well. I love you!

WyA said...

Nice. I like how these poems are titled, I have no idea what I'm reading until I get into the poem, this one struck a nice chord. I bet this is pretty ,,,,BAH, I forget the word, basically I was going to say I bet this helps heal you, or get the feelings out so they arn't buried. It helps me to read them too. It put a lump in my throat. you're good miss Robyn.

Anonymous said...

That is soooo true. I thought our family was perfect all the way until I got married! Then it struck me. Funny huh? We are all just here to learn from our mistakes, and others. I think we've all gotten stronger, but got a few scars along the way. They've healed, but they're always there.

Anonymous said...

This is my 4th attempt to comment on this poem - it's amazing how one persons decision(mine)can change the lives of so many people. They say that "you always hurt the ones you love" but please believe me when I say I wouldn't hurt any of you for anything and my heartaches knowing that I tore your worlds apart.

Jenni S said...

OK, I don't remember reading this one. Wow, that's really amazing and like Ryan said really healing. It's neat you have this talent to write down your thoughts in a creative way. Love you Robyn.