Friday, April 07, 2006

Why Am I Smiling?

The radio is turned up, windows rolled down
I can feel the wind blowing through my hair

I am smiling

My 3-yr-old sits in back crying, screaming, kicking
Radio is turned a little higher, wind is still blowing

Me, still smiling

Why do I smile?
Is it because I don't have strength to laugh?
Do I feel joy, or pleasure?
.....None of the above.....

We reach a stoplight, roll windows up
Take a deep breath; why do I feel so calm?

"mommmyyy" "M..O..MM..YYY!!!"

I feel strength; strength only a mother can feel
A certain strength only a mother needs

Destination is reached, FINALLY!!
3-yr-old falls into my arms; a kiss and a hug
It's over

And I am smiling!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, that is adorable!!!
You are so good.
I love you my Robyn

Anonymous said...

CUTE!!! My version is when the windows go up, I start yelling at them to BE QUIET!!! You're good. Love you!

Juli

WyA said...

Ah crap, you tellin me I gotta deal with THIS soon?!?!? Well I'll try to smile through it, I'll try Juli's way too, that might be more my style, we'll see. That was a cool one Robynon.

WyA

Tiff and Rand said...

I LOVED that poem, it's such a happy poem even through all the yelling! You are so good. It is so fun to read these poems of yours and understand what you mean even when I haven't yet experienced it. Love YOU!
Tiff