Thursday, June 29, 2006

With Love

It was just yesterday, it seems
You lay in my arms
The smell of your breath
After bottle is through
Breathing steadily

Kissing your tiny hands
And little bald head
I kept you safe in my arms
No one could harm you

But these arms can't hold you forever
They are way ahead of my heart
Which holds every memory
Especially of you

Taking care of you was easy then
Compared to now
If crying wouldn't end
A bottle was there to save the day

Now that you can talk
So many questions are asked
From your gentle heart
Until now, I've never had to explain 'why'

Can I hold you one more time?
This I ask you every day
I wish you would slow down
Fall asleep in my arms

You are my life
Because of you, I am complete
I pray that you continue to succeed
Never give up

Just one request
From dear ol' mom
Remember to stop
And give hugs along the way

With love

3 comments:

Tiff and Rand said...

This poem made me bawl...I still am even as I type! I have a 10 month old and I already feel like it's moving too fast. I worry about having more kids because I want to just sit and watch Riley learn and not miss a thing by giving someone else more attention. I know that probably sounds rediculous, but you explained so well how I feel even now! Not the whole answering "why" thing, that just sounds tiring to me. Anyway, thank you so much for this poem it trully hit a soft spot for me so you can imagine what it'll do to people who have older children. You're great Robyn, thanks for sharing. I love you!

Anonymous said...

My sweet Robyn! This poem is so sweet and so real. It just gave me chills and makes me cry. Older mothers would tell me to enjoy every minute because the time goes so fast and it was hard to believe at the time. Now all my little ones have little ones and my life has changed so much. Somehow I feel like I've lost 6 little friends who counted on me for everything, who would be happy when I walked into a room and quit crying when I kissed tears away and I'll never see you again. The song is so true that says "turn around and your tiny, turn around and your grown, turn around and your a young wife with babes of your own". I miss you my 6 little ones. Thank you Robyn for bringing back such precious and charished memories through your beautiful poem. You are so talented and I love you with all my heart.

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I really enjoy your poems. Especially this new one. I was totally picturing it as lyrics to a song while reading it -- are you turning some of these into songs with your guitar? I remember when you sang/played at a get together and it was so neat. Thank you for sharing. It's making me want to start writing poetry again...